AuditWizard - Concepts - Methods of Auditing
There are only two methods of auditing.
The Scanner is an executable file that is run by a client computer, usually over a network. It is usually invoked by a line added to the login script that causes the client computer to run it on login. It runs, then stops and closes the connection to the file server. It is accompanied by a companion XML file that contains its settings.
- It does not require installation on the client either as an .exe or a service. This is the easiest method to configure because it requires no installation, but simply placement in a network share. Most useful for many computers on a local network. The .exe and/or its settings can be updated instantly by replacing the .exe and/or .xml files, which affects every computer on next login.
- In situations where the client is not logged into frequently, it can be scheduled to run from the network.
- A remote domain can be audited with a parallel installation, with audit files transferred to the primary domain via FTP.
- Individual computers not on the local network, such as laptops, can be configured to run it locally, exporting via FTP to the AuditWizard server's network.
- Where FTP is not an option, a more manual email approach can be used.
- Where physical access to the client is possible, and the client is not on the AuditWizard server's network, a physical drive can be used, directly connected to the client.
Rebuilding the Scanner
It is a standard procedure to rebuild the scanner when AuditWizard is upgraded to a new version and the AuditScanner.exe has been upgraded as well. This will be noted in the Release Notes. To rebuild the scanner, follow these instructions.
The Agent is configured in Administration > Auditing > AuditScanner Configuration.
This is a service installed on a client computer. It runs locally and uploads to a specified network share. It runs continually. When a new version is available, it must be removed manually and replaced through the AuditWizard interface.
- In the default configuration, the Scanner relies on users logging in. For computers that are infrequently logged into, such as servers, the Agent runs without needing a user to be logged in and will audit a computer on a set schedule.
- Laptops can be audited while off the network.
The Agent is configured in Administration > Auditing > AuditAgent Configuration.