Layton ServiceDesk - Configuring the System - Introduction
This section describes how to configure Layton ServiceDesk, and although you can follow the sections in order, there is no real need. Because the system is highly configurable, you should spend some time to assess and decide the most logical method of operation and system settings that will best suit your requirements. A little more care and thought now could save time and effort later on. Try to decide now on the structure and how the system will operate. Consider the following questions and then follow the basic steps to implement:
- How will the support staff be organized?
- Will Analyst Groups be implemented and to what level?
- Who will "own" or manage and be responsible for Requests?
- Who will be allowed to close Requests?
- How will Requests or calls be recorded and processed?
- How do you want the Request screens to look for the Analysts and End Users?
- Will support be provided to internal End Users only or will support also be provided to external clients or customers?
- Will you be providing support to multiple locations? Do you need to create Company, Site and Department locations?
- How will End User Requests be processed, manual or automatic assignment?
- What will be the assignment process?
- Will Requests be suggested for assignment to a Group or Analyst based on workload or skills and workload?
- What will be the escalation process?
- What are the different Priorities that will be required, if any?
- What will be the working hours and holidays of the help desk?
- How will Requests be categorized?
- Do want to create standard Solutions to before implementing?
- What Tasks will be required and do you want to create a schedule of recurring tasks?
- Will you be implementing the Problem & Change Management module?
- Will Change Requests require an approval process?
- Will Change Advisory Boards (CAB) be required?
- Reporting, do you need to create new or modify existing reports?
Once you have answered the above questions, you should be ready to configure Layton ServiceDesk.
Remember, all screens or pages are configurable, so data fields and labels may be modified, deleted, and new fields added. Application Terms or terminology may also be customized, however, you may decide the default values already meet the requirements for your application.
Note: There are some specific System fields (ex. sys_request_id on a Request form) defined on certain forms that cannot be removed. This is to protect the integrity and operation of the system. These fields do not have the Trash can button and therefore cannot be deleted.
First, log in to Layton ServiceDesk as the Analyst Admin and password mib. This is the default Administrator or Analyst with a Security Group of Administrator. You can now access all the functions to set up the system within the Administration panel.
To register the product after purchase, go to Administration > System Settings > License Information and enter the license registration information provided in your Customer Support Portal. You may activate your product by entering your Registered Company Name and Company ID details in the spaces provided, and then click on Get Key. This will connect you to the Layton Technology Customer Support Portal and allow you to retrieve your product key. You are now ready to start the configuration of Layton ServiceDesk.